Sunnyvale City Councilmember – and VTA Board Member – David Whittum invited us all to an open house VTA is having in Sunnyvale from 5:30pm-7:30pm. Live or work in Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills or Cupertino? Tonight’s open house in Sunnyvale is something you must make the time to attend and SPEAK UP if you want better transit service in the area. –eugene
(Apologies for the delay in posting this. There have been some personal issues I have had to deal with.)
At our group meeting last Thursday, we discussed the need to get the word out on being safe as a pedestrian. This issue is in light of recent and tragic incidents such as:
- A pedestrian vs. cyclist collision on the campus of San Jose State, where an 89-year old female pedestrian involved died
- A freight train vs. automobile collision in Morgan Hill where a 20-year old woman who allegedly drove her SUV onto the railroad tracks was killed by an oncoming freight train
- This near-miss of a Caltrain vs. pedestrian collision in Redwood City:
We also discussed VTA’s plans for transit service to Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, and a meeting in Mountain View April 9 to determine transit needs in the Palo Alto and Mountain View area. Of the latter, member Michael Ludvig recommended increased service frequency on the 51 bus line (Moffett Field-De Anza College).
Lots of catching up to do…
Founder, Silicon Valley Transit Users
As of 2pm, all Caltran service to and from San Francisco has been restored. Service was suspeded due to time overruns from a bridge replacement in San Francisco.
At 2:45pm, VTA paged us that service on the 26 bus line in San Jose on Curtner between Highway 87 and Monterey Highway is affected by a street closure. Passengers need to board the 26 at either Monterey/Curtner or Curtner light rail station.
Finally, service on VTA’s 35 bus line in downtown Mountain View is running 10 minutes late due to street repaving on Vila Street.
This is your Silicon Valley weekend transit update for September 9-11, 2011. It’s your guide for Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) and Caltrain service to events throughout Silicon Valley.
This update includes public transit information on events like
- Mountain View’s Art and Wine Festival this weekend
- San Francisco 49ers’ home opener vs. Seattle this Sunday at 1:15pm
- San Jose Earthquakes soccer v. Chicago Saturday night at 7:30pm in Santa Clara
- San Jose Giants’ playoff baseball on Saturday and Sunday @ Municipal Stadium in San Jose
This comes on the tenth anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. To that end, you are strongly encouraged to stay safe when riding any VTA bus, light rail or Caltrain this weekend. You are also strongly encouraged to report any and all suspicious activities to the authorities as soon as possible.